The COVID-19 pandemic has severely impacted millions of migrant workers in destination countries, many of whom have experienced job loss or non-payment of wages, been forced by employers to take unpaid leave or reduced wages, been confined in poor living conditions. Countries of destination and origin have begun
repatriation procedures of these workers, without giving thought to their predicament and presenting the returns as inevitable. Under these repatriation programs, millions of workers are repatriated to situations of debt bondage as they will be forced to pay off recruitment fees and cost.
On June the 1st, 2020, a large coalition of civil society organizations and global trade unions launched a campaign to demand an urgent justice mechanism for repatriated workers as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Three calls for action were launched in June, July and August 2020.
Migrant Forum in Asia (MFA) is seeking a media consultant to develop the campaign’s communication strategy and maximize all communication and content efforts created by MFA under this initiative. The media consultant will be responsible for the production and publication of media and communication content and the coordination of the campaign’s communication efforts.
6 months from 19 October 2020 to 19 April 2021. Extension of the duration of the contract will be upon the agreement of the two (2) parties.
The media consultant will be responsible to carry out the following tasks:
1) Communication Strategy:
– Develop a campaign communication strategy for different types of audiences including the general public, governments, and UN agencies. The communication strategy should be targeted at both traditional
media and social media.
– Develop campaign communications content including the writing of news articles, press releases, and other material as requested.
– Develop key messages for communication in consultation with campaign partners.
– Identify and ensure campaign coverage in global English language media, including securing coverage in outlets with a wide distribution that are well-positioned to influence target audiences.
– Produce special content for the campaign website and ensure website is up-to-date.
2) Media Relations:
– Compile media lists, set up briefings for campaign partners and/or spokespersons with key reporters, editors and producers, as well as write and pitch op-eds and identify public speaking opportunities, and
conduct media trainings.
3) Social Media: Identify opportunities to engage across social media platforms, work with the organization to provide guidance on best practices that can help expand their reach, and advise them on when and how to take advantage of key opportunities
4) Capacity Building:
– Meet with MFA secretariat staff and work with them to build the communications capabilities of the organization, including around key messaging, handling media interviews, and pitching to journalists.
– Towards the end of the consultancy, work with MFA secretariat staff to ensure hand-over of all communication related tasks.
The following deliverables are expected to be produced at the end of the consultancy:
1- Campaign communication strategy developed in consultation with campaign members. Campaign strategy expected to be developed and presented in the first month of the consultancy.
2- Campaign Coverage: 25 substantial pieces of coverage in print English language media and 8 television interviews and secures appearances for MFA staff and/or key partners in major media outlets.
3- A database of global media contacts is produced.
4- Website is revamped and updated and social media interaction is more targeted and improved.
5- A number communication training sessions are carried out as agreed with MFA.
To apply: Please email email@example.com indicating your interest, and
• A maximum 1 page cover note outlining why you are suitable for the role and please indicate your payment expectation
• Curriculum Vitae (CV)
• Work Portfolio.
Deadline for submission of application is on 05 October 2020 (Monday), 23:59 Manila (GMT +8)