Human Rights and Migrant Workers Capacity Building Program, Beirut, Lebanon 2018— April 18, 2018
On 9-14 April 2018, a capacity building program on Human Rights and Migrant Workers in the Middle East and North Africa region was held in Beirut, Lebanon. The program was organized by Migrant Forum in Asia (MFA) and the Diplomacy Training Program (DTP) in partnership with the local host, the Cross-Regional Center for Refugees and Migrants (CCRM). The program was attended by almost 30 participants composed of civil society representatives, trade unions, and journalists from countries such as Bahrain, Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Morcco, Turkey, and Qatar. There were also participants coming from countries of origin particularly India and Nepal.
The program discussed the following:
• different conventions and human rights mechanisms related to migrant workers,
• how to build different collaborations between countries of origin and destination,
• how to engage the private sector and governments
• how to engage the media in lobbying and advocacy work,
• the Global Compact process and its relevant thematic issues such as migrants – refugees and regular-irregular migrant workers among others.
Invited speakers were the following: Dr Ryszard Cholewinski (ILO), Abeer Al-Khraisha (OHCHR), Sophia Kagan (ILO), Marie-Jose Tayah -( IWDF), and Ray Jureidini.
Please find below photos from the program